Friday 27 May 2011

Chronokinesis

Time travel is a constant, if often unconscious, process.  Awareness occasionally intrudes, like a face staring back through the glass, reminding us that we are not alone. Time is always with us.

One day, in the Jardin des Tuileries in Paris, I was walking past a statue when a figure emerged from behind the plinth. A man in eighteeenth century dress. He looked around as if in shock, brushed his topcoat down and wandered off into the crowd. I felt surprised, but also concerned, as he was clearly lost.

I sometimes wonder if I was the one lost, and that this was a gentle reminder.

Another time, in Istanbul, an old woman beckoned me over to her pavement stall. She pressed a small object into my palm, refusing my offer of cash. A nazar  or 'evil eye' charm, designed to protect the wearer. I left her something anyway, for luck, without asking why.

Was this another reminder?

I try to keep my eyes open these days, scouring streets and faces for further clues that existence is more than we presume: imagining that, behind the scenery, time and fate are waiting in ambush, to shock us into momentary awareness and leave us wondering.

Perhaps that is the nature of time travel.

No comments:

Post a Comment